Here's what fans need to know as Portsmouth prepares to host four days of world-class sailing action this June.
World-class competitive sailing comes to the South Coast this summer, with Portsmouth hosting The Emirates America’s Cup World Series from Thursday 4 until Sunday 7 June 2020.
One of the highlights of the 2020’s summer sporting season, here’s what fans need to know about the event.
What is the America’s Cup?
The America’s Cup is considered the pinnacle of sailing. The competition was first contested in 1851 as a race around the Isle Of Wight, predating the Olympic Games by 45 years.
This year’s edition of the cup comprises three world series formats, taking place in Cagliari, Italy in April, Portsmouth, England in June, and in Auckland, New Zealand in December 2020.
Where does it take place?
The UK leg takes place on The Solent, just off of the coast of the naval city of Portsmouth. It will be the third time the city has hosted the event, after welcoming thousands of spectators to its shores in 2015 and 2016.
Teams will set off and finish in front of the city’s historic castle. The event’s viewing areas and fan zones are all located around the Southsea Common area of the city.
Fact fans: Did you know that Portsmouth is the UK’s only island city?
Four teams are set to compete for the highly coveted trophy. They are:
- Emirates Team New Zealand (Defender of the America’s Cup)
- INEOS team UK (Sir Ben Ainslie’s British team)
- Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli team (Italy)
- American Magic (USA)
What tickets should I buy?
There are three main ticket types for the event, all offering different experiences but allowing fans to take in the breathtaking action.
General Access Race Village Fanzone
The main area for spectators is the Race Village Fanzone. Doors are open from 10:00 until 18:00 each day, promising:
- Spectacular views of the action with live commentary and big screens.
- A huge range of bars and pop up food stalls.
- Main stage with MCs and live entertainment.
- Pre and post-race interviews with the team’s Helmsmen and sailors.
- Cup exhibits and team tents.
- Each day will finish with an America’s Cup-themed Happy Hour party by the sea.
Premier Grandstand Experience
This experience gives fans access to the Race Village Fanzone, as well as a reserved seat in the grandstand, giving fans a clear elevated view of the action.
Elevate your race day experience for you and your friends and family with this package which includes:
- Fast track entry into the Race Village Fanzone.
- Private lounge area with complimentary food and drinks vouchers.
- Dedicated expert and MC team.
- A reserved seat in the grandstand.
Tickets for The Emirates America’s Cup World Series in Portsmouth are available now through Ticketmaster.co.uk.