So Harry Potter and the Cursed Child has been causing quite the excitement on Twitter today. Here’s everything we know about the West End production so far…
1. This (as well as the photo above) is the first look at artwork for the play
2. It’s an original story written by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany.
3. It’s being considered the eighth story in the Harry Potter series (and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage).
4. This is what we know about the plot so far… ‘It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.’
5. And this, ‘While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.’
6. It will form two parts on stage, with audiences being given the chance to see both shows in order on the same day (matinee and evening) or split their viewings with consecutive evenings.
7. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will replace Miss Saigon at the Palace Theatre London in the West End, with previews beginning in May.
8. Ps. It’s ‘definitely not a prequel’. Talking about the play, Rowling has said, “The story only exists because the right group of people came together with a brilliant idea about how to present Harry Potter on stage,” Rowling said. “I’m confident that when audiences see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child they will understand why we chose to tell this story in this way.”
Are you excited for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child to open on the West End? Let us know over at @TicketmasterUK.