Before Gaga was Grace Jones, a pioneering force who blurred the lines between performance and art. There are few people who have had such an enduring influence across both music and fashion and her iconic androgynous style can still be seen today on catwalks and singers alike.
Set to appear at this year’s On Blackheath festival, we decided the time was ripe to cast our eyes over her best looks and wonder what on earth she might take to the stage in wearing next.
1) In 1969, at the start of her modelling career, she manages to look both ethereal and strong.
2) Probably the coolest Bond Girl, Grace Jones as May Day from A View to Kill in 1984.
3) Grace Jones wearing a twenty foot long dress by Keith Haring at 1987 New Year’s Eve party
4) She’s lost control and is wearing bangles as big as her head
5) Resplendent in purple Azzedine Alaïa.
6) Grace is a bad-ass ballerina in flowing, black tulle
7) On stage, Grace Jones is a work of art in this sculptural corset.
8) All smiles in all white with her gal pal, Naomi Campbell in the 90s.
9) The milliner’s dream girl, Grace Jones performs at amfAR New York Gala 2014 wearing dark turquoise furs and an orange discus hat.
If you’re feeling inspired, add a couple of these items to your wardrobe and you’ll be Grace Jones ready to go Nightclubbing! *Warning* a hefty dose of attitude is also required.
Jumpsuit: Joseph: Net-a-Porter.
Heidi Cat Veil: Maison Michel: Selfridges.
Grace Jones Earrings: Leroy’s Place: BarbandBear.
Sunglasses: Ksubi: Superette.
Leopard Print Bangle: Susanna Valerio: Boticca.
Matte Lipstick: Lord and Berry.
Holographic wedges: Topshop.
Prism Clutch: Bao Bao Issey Miyake: Selfridges.
Grace Jones is set to appear at this year’s On Blackheath festival, which takes place 13-14 September – full details and tickets are available here.